My waffle maker and I decided to make peace.
One of my favorite meals is Sunday brunch. And as you might have guessed it, it’s pretty hard to keep things healthy when all you smell is pancakes, waffle and the like. So I decided to take things into my own hands and make a healthier type of waffles. They are low in fat and made with whole wheat flour. And instead of all that sugary maple syrup I topped them with low fat yogurt and fresh blueberries. Protein and antioxidant power. Oh yeah!
While I don’t think this is the perfect daily breakfasts, this is for sure an AMAZING 1 “indulgence” day a week option. The only thing I need to remind myself is to keep portion size in check. So maximum 2 waffles and a cup of coffee is my favorite way to have Sunday brunch.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- Mix whole-wheat flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, the egg yolk, oil and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until hardened
- Add sugar and continue beating until the mixture becomes stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the egg whites in the flour and milk mixture.
- Add thawed blueberries and mix well.
- Preheat a waffle iron and brush the surface with a drop of oil.
- Using a ladle, pour batter into the waffle iron (do not fill completely, leave it about one-third empty as the mixture will spread).
- Close the iron and cook until the waffles are crisp and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the surface with oil every now and then, so that the batter does not stick. You can choose not to use oil at all, if your waffle iron is made out of Teflon. It makes them even healthier.
- Top each waffle with 1 tablespoon yogurt, and fresh blueberries.
- Serve warm and enjoy!