A chicken sandwich made for a busy day!
This recipe can be made in many ways. I used leftover chicken we had from the day before. Any grilled chicken would work well though.
I typically make this with kale pesto, but you can also use regular pesto or hummus. What’s great about this recipe (other than the fact that it takes 2 minutes to make), is that is low in calories, but full of healthy nutrients. It has only 11.2g of fat and almost 30g of protein. It’s a great post workout meal and it takes fantastic next to a cream soup.
If you want to take it to go, skip the tomato and use green bell pepper. The tomato makes the bread soggy, so it’s not ideal if you are browning your lunch or for a trip. Green or red bell peppers are the ideal vegetable to add to a pre-packed sandwich.
- 2 slices whole wheat toast
- 1 slice reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz, (2-3 one-inch cubes) grilled chicken
- 1 teaspoon kale pesto
- 4-5 arugula leaves
- ½ tomato
- Layer mozzarella on one slice of bread.
- Toast both slices of bread in a toaster oven for 1 minute, until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread kale pesto on the bread without the cheese.
- Layer on top of the slice with cheese the chopped grilled chicken, tomato slices and arugula leaves.
- Top the sandwich with the kale pesto slice of bread.
- Cut in half and enjoy.
Incoming search terms:
- cooking chicken for sandwich